Make sure you have someone in your life from whom you can get reflective feedback.”
Warren G Bennis, President of the University of Cincinnati
There can be only one reason for not having a coach; not being able to afford one. It would, of course, be nonsensical to assume everyone has available cash to pay for a coach, career or otherwise. To a large extent, the role of coach is the basis for this website. Naturally, if any of our members wants additional, personal support it is available.
So, what areas can a coach participate?
- Providing a fresh pair of eyes
- Eliciting your sense of purpose and personal philosophy
- Opening up an understanding of true aspirations
- Investigating the value and merits of the current situation
- Identifying the correct general direction
- Creating the career path, possibly in the current organisation
- Bringing clarity to the exercise
- Helping to create deep focus and concentration
- Developing personal confidence
- Identifying areas for personal development and learning
- Ensuring proper preparation (to prevent poor performance) PPPPP
- Considering all aspects of selection, including interviews and assessments
Deciding whether to use a coach and how to use him or her, means investing in yourself. The key word is investing. Yes it costs money but the payback, both financially and emotionally, may be great if you fully participate.